Monday, 22 November 2010

Moved

Having decided to concentrate on this new domain name, richardmmarshall.com, I had to establish some way of linked from the old domain, richard-marshall.com to this one. Sounds easy, but it isn't because the Blogger/Google Apps interface that this is running on only allows one domain name to point at it.

So I tried various solutions to come up with intermediate stages that would redirect automatically, but they all came up needing some payment, which is irksome. Not so much because of the money, we all have to eat, but because of the requires further on to renew and all the rest of that. So I was looking for a free solution.

In the end I created a personal Google Sites instance associated with my normal Google account and put a simple text link in. While this incurs an extra click, it has the advantage that people get to see that I've moved; an automatic redirect doesn't do that. Eventually I can just stop using richard-marshall.com completely when there is no traffic left.

However the real reason is that I can find no way of adding JavaScript to the Sites, or at least not the kind I wanted to use. Maybe I'm missing something. Let me know!

No comments:

Post a comment